Monday, April 12, 2010

Through death came life

Never did I think I'd cry conducting an interview. That all changed today.

I never knew that I'd have something in common with an 17 year old football player. He had a dad in and out of jail and so did I. He lost someone very close to pancreatic cancer, so did I. Except the person he lost was his dad. Though Duane's father was in and out of jail he strived to make sure he kept a relationship with Duane and his siblings.

That was good and bad at the same time.

With the lack of father figure in his life, Duane was not a likeable guy. He started fights, got suspended, had a haughty attitude...all the above. Then, on November 27, 2007 Duane's world was rocked. Three months prior, he found out that his dad was going to be released from prison. The most exciting news he had ever received. His dad was going to finally see him play football.

A bittersweet moment and he didn't even know it yet.

That same day he also found out that his dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The night of November 27, 2007 he said, "Goodnight daddy, I love you..." and then he started to break down crying. "I'll see you tomorrow."

But there was no tomorrow he told me. Those were the last things he was able to say to his father.

Through death came life. A light bulb clicked and from that moment Duane Brady made a 360, in his personal life and on the football field. His coaches can attest. Once know as a big jerk, coaches and players hated to be around him, but now they can't get enough of him.

In his senior season of football at St. Augustine High School, he broke University of Florida's Brandon James' season rushing record. Everyone couldn't be prouder. As senior graduation nears in the next month or two, Duane will be embarking on a new journey at Murray St. in Kentucky.

He's an amazing young man and I can't wait to see how God will be using him.



No comments:

Post a Comment